Postnatal massage can be given as soon after the birth as the mother requires. You can have this massage either lying on your side or front and back, depending on how soon it is after the birth, and what position is most comfortable. I will use pillows and cushions to support your breasts, tummy and pelvis if needed to make you as comfortable as we can.
If you wish, your baby can be with you, as I do have a chair which rocks and vibrates which may keep baby happy. Some Mothers also like to have their baby lying next to them which is possible as my bed is extra wide to cater for this.
If you may want some quiet time to yourself, that is also fine and we can hopefully work around this, finding suitable time for both of us!
This quiet time can be very important for a new Mother especially after the labour and initial Postnatal period.
What happens during a Postnatal Massage?
The massage uses a variety of techniques dependant on what the mother requires and the reason for her requesting a massage. As previously stated, It is performed either side-lying or as normal lying on back and front. This is dependant on how the Mother is feeling, if breastfeeding or C-section scar is feeling sore or whether there are any lower back issues where lying prone would be more uncomfortable. I use organic wax which is unperfumed and perfectly safe to breastfeed with or be close to baby with for those Mothers who would like no scent. However,
I can also make up a blend of dōTERRA oils to be used during the massage to make it bespoke to your needs and requirements. They are safe to use whilst breastfeeding your baby. These oils work on an emotional level as well as physical, and can be used by smelling them, diffusing them as well as topically on the skin.
If you would like a specific rollerball made up for you to take home with after your massage, I can blend some into a 10 ml rollerball, which can be used on your wrists, soles of feet, neck, down your spine as well as in your hands and breathed in! Rollerballs start at £20 for a 10ml bottle. Cost is dependant on which oils are used in your blend.
The treatment can either be a full body massage or problem area-specific, but will be determined after consulting the Mother to ensure her requirements are met. You may want your time out to relax or you may be concerned about niggles, so this time is yours to chose how you want it spent.
Up to six weeks after birth (approximately)
I can help to relieve aches and pains that are pregnancy, labour or posture-related.
I can also help with
- feeding positions
- recommending some early breathing techniques and exercises to start moving the body
- pelvic floor exercises
- treat mastitis or engorged breasts, using specific massage and lymphatic drainage
From six weeks after birth
- help to relieve tightness or pulling on caesarean section scars once it has healed
- help with any digestion/constipation problems post-birth
- give 1-1 advice on realigning the body’s posture, using myofascial release and other advanced massage techniques
- give advice on breathing patterns which may have developed whilst pregnant because the uterus pushed the lungs up and restricted breathing
- discuss and check for diastasis recti (abdominal separation), and pelvic floor discomfort or dysfunction
- discuss any worries you may have and help you make some small but effective changes to standing, sitting and carrying
- discuss good nutrition which can help you heal and recover
- prescribe some exercises personally for you and your needs.
Postnatal massage benefits
- A specific massage can be started immediately after birth.
- Aids healing after caesarean
- Alleviates muscle strain
- Reduces back and neck pain
- If breasts are sore and swollen, these can be relieved through specific massage.
- Restores the body’s equilibrium through use of Shiatsu techniques
- Helps to reduce stress and fatigue
For a more in-depth session you may want to book the 90 minute ‘Reconnect & Thrive’ session. It is not possible to do this session online.
Once you have paid you will be asked to contact Tanya to arrange your massage dates/time.
60 minutes £55
90 minutes £80
WHAT LOVELY PEOPLE ARE SAYING
As mentioned throughout the therapy and treatment information sections, I have the option of mixing and using specific dōTERRA essential oils to compliment your therapy and suit your specific needs for that session. If you would like to learn more about the oils that I use, please click the button below.